Saturday, January 12, 2013

Goodbye

     Today, I said goodbye to a life long friend. I have known her all my life. She was friends with my parents, and over the years, became a dear friend to me, too. She contracted the flu, developed pneumonia, suffer a heart attack, and was unable to recover. Within a  week, she was gone. I visited with her in the ICU for a few minutes, kind of by chance, but so glad I made the attempt and was successful in seeing her. I was able to talk and laugh with her, and to tell her I loved her. 

     She taught me how to make Chow Chow - her brand of relish. She gave me knitting needles that belonged to another dear friend, who was an avid knitter. She gave me a watch that belonged to her sister. She gave me hats she had made. She gave, she gave, she gave. 

    She was a wonderful friend, and devoted wife, mother, grandmother, aunt, sister. She had a temper, and she had a twinkle in her eye most of the time that matched the smile or grin on her face. She was fun, and loving, and very honest. You always knew what she was thinking, because she always told you. 

     I will miss her. I will miss her gifts. I will miss her lessons. I will miss the guidance. I will greatly miss the friendship. 

     Goodbye, Marilyn.

No comments: