Tuesday, April 2, 2019

April 2, 2019

After 3 months away from home, more than 5000 miles put on the car, so many memorable days, we are back home in Maine. It was the best three winter months I have ever experienced. Warm, sunny days are some of what makes me happy. Already looking forward to next year, and all that it will bring.

Today is Alexys' sixteenth birthday. I remember her birth well. First time I had been present for a birth, well, on that end of it anyway. And the fact that it was my first grandchild changed my life. I became a grandmother, her grandmother, sixteen years ago today. I became Mammie, a role that I cherish, adore, and am blown away with. I had no clue that I would be completely smitten with all six little ones that call me "Mammie." It all started with this one, with the contagious smile.
The day she reached up, and took my hand as we walked across a parking lot, was unforgettable for me. With my own boys, I didn't have time to realize when they did it, or I took it for granted. When a grandchild touches your heart, visibly, you know there is a bond that will never be broken. A part of me wishes she would stay small, and that I could hold her in my lap, and rock her, and read to her. But another part of me is elated and proud of what she is becoming. I am so blessed and fortunate to have experienced grandmotherhood with such beautiful, caring, loving grandchildren. 

No comments: