Friday, February 22, 2019

February 22, 2019

A huge check mark off the non existent bucket list. HUGE!! Saw, and heard, an actual Space X Falcon lift off from Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral last night. We were so fortunate to be across the river, about 7 miles away from the launch pad. Seemed like we were much closer, but was told it was about 7 miles. We pulled off the highway, and parked beside the road, with the river in front of us. Even at 8pm, we could see the Vehicle Assembly Building, and the actual launch area from where we were. There were bright lights pointing towards the sky, so we knew that was the area. There were others around us, doing the same thing, and this couple helped me down over the bank, getting closer to the water, and out around the bushes.

We waited and waited and waited. Finally, as the seconds ticked down, I thought to myself,"I can't believe I am really experiencing this." Ken and I have watched NASA channel, and launches, and space missions for decades. And now, I was watching a rocket launch from Kennedy Space Center. 

This may look like the sun rising or setting, but it is the rocket igniting and starting lift off. It was an experience that left me awestruck. It looked like a giant fireball, rising from across the water, and lifting into the sky. It took about a minute or more, and the rumble hit us. The wind was at our backs, so it wasn't as loud as I had hoped. I really wanted to hear the rumble and feel it, too. The rocket soared. Just like the videos we have watched for so many years. Soared!



It was fast. In a matter of seconds it was over our heads, and the different phases were passing.
Even though the moon was quite full, this is still the rocket, glaring over the water. You could see the boats on the water. The pictures don't capture the true color or shapes of the glare. It looks like a sun in the pictures and videos. I am still in a bit of shock that I experienced this, and heard, and watched, and am so thankful for the experience. Hoping to catch another one before we head back home.

Yup! That's a big check!!

No comments: